My Icons Are Missing After Font Awesome 5 Upgrade
If you are using the OceanWP theme version 1.7.1 or above, and the Ocean Extra plugin version 1.5.17 or above and you are experiencing issues with your icons (for example, your icons are missing or showing up as squares), the reason is the upgrade to Font Awesome 5.
You can easily resolve this by following recommended steps:
1. Disable Font Awesome 4 Support within Elementor
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, Elementor > Settings > Advanced and
- make sure the Load Font Awesome 4 Support (bottom option) is set to NO.
2. Refresh your Scripts
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, Theme Panel > Scripts & Styles, and
- first Disable all scripts and Save Changes, then
- Enable back all scripts and Save Changes.
3. Regenerate CSS
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, Elementor > Tools and
- Regenerate CSS files.
4. Clear Cache
If you are using a caching plugin or cloud services, make sure to clear your entire website/cloud/browser cache.
Icons Missing in Certain Sections
If your icons are missing in certain sections created with Elementor, or showing up as squares, sometimes it is enough just to edit that section in Elementor and the icon will reappear.
If the icon does not reappear, that means that Font Awesome 5 has a different icon ID for that specific icon and you should just set a "new" icon.
Icons Still Missing or Showing Up as Squares
If you have taken all recommended steps and your icons are still missing or showing up as squares, the reason could be a third-party plugin conflict or that the respective plugin you are using is not Font Awesome 5 ready.
In that case, you can use custom CSS to replace missing icons or contact the respective plugin developer support for troubleshooting.