Sample Child Theme
If you are planning to make advanced changes to the OceanWP theme (for example, add custom PHP codes the functions.php file or override existing theme or plugin template files), the best way to do that is via a child theme.
OceanWP offers you a ready-to-use child theme and you don't need third-party plugins to create one.
There are 2 methods to install an OceanWP Child Theme.
Method 1: Install OceanWP Child Theme via OceanWP Theme Panel
If you're using the OceanWP 3.3.0 version or above and Ocean Extra plugin 2.0.0 version or above, you easily install the OceanWP child theme via your WP Dashboard, OceanWP > OceanWP Panel, section Home, Download area.
Please see additional instructions from Method 2 on how to export or import OceanWP theme Customizer styling.
Method 2: Manually Install OceanWP Child Theme
If you need to make advanced changes to the OceanWP Child Theme, for example edit the style.css file for whitelabeling purposes (suitable for developers), then you'll need to download and install the OceanWP Child Theme the old fashion way.
IMPORTANT: Switching To a Child Theme Notice:
If you already have an established website and plan adding a child theme just now, please remember that all theme modifications (such as the Customizer settings) are saved in your database table using the name of your theme. Therefore, in order to apply the same settings in your OceanWP Child Theme, you must do the following:
- Go to your WP dashboard, OceanWP > OceanWP Panel > Customizer > Customizer Styling Import & Export (old settings: Theme Panel > Import/Export) and export your settings in a .dat file and save on your computer.
- Install and activate the OceanWP Child Theme.
- Go to OceanWP > OceanWP Panel > Customizer > Customizer Styling Import & Export (old settings: Theme Panel > Import/Export) and import the .dat file with your settings.
If you have already installed the OceanWP Child Theme but forgot to export your settings first, then:
- Go to Appearance >Theme s and activate the core OceanWP theme again.
- Perform all the steps from the list above.
- Then go to Appearance > Themes and reactivate the OceanWP child theme.